ACRISS Car Codes Explained
Looking for a code for a particular car? Click here to search for the code.
Car Classification Matrix
The original matrix was created from the SIPP system used by the GDS and had been used successfully for many years but with an increasing number of changes in motor vehicle design it was necessary to expand the matrix to facilitate more precise and descriptive coding.
In 2006 the current Car Classification Matrix was launched replacing the original older Matrix to include these changes in motor vehicle design and to improve the information provided to the consumer enabling a better understand and confidence when booking car rental.
- Increasingly diverse chassis types in motor vehicle design
- Extensive list of different fuel types
- Differentiation between 2, 4 and AWD wheel drive SUVs and other car types.
- Greater diverse offering of specific models and promotional vehicles
- Support of enhanced search logic via online booking services
- Improved information for consumers to make an `informed choice’ when making a car rental booking
|CATEGORY||TYPE||TRANSMISSION / DRIVE||FUEL/AIR COND.|
|M||Mini||B||2-3 Door||M||Manual Unspecified Drive||R||Unspecified Fuel/Power With Air|
|N||Mini Elite||C||2/4 Door||N||Manual 4WD||N||Unspecified Fuel/Power Without Air|
|E||Economy||D||4-5 Door||C||Manual AWD||D||Diesel Air|
|H||Economy Elite||W||Wagon/Estate||A||Auto Unspecified Drive||Q||Diesel No Air|
|C||Compact||V||Passenger Van||B||Auto 4WD||H||Hybrid Air|
|D||Compact Elite||L||Limousine/Sedan||D||Auto AWD||I||Hybrid No Air|
|J||Intermediate Elite||T||Convertible||C||Electric No Air|
|S||Standard||F||SUV||L||LPG/Compressed Gas Air|
|R||Standard Elite||J||Open Air All Terrain||S||LPG/Compressed Gas No Air|
|G||Fullsize Elite||P||Pick up (single/extended cab) 2 door||B||Hydrogen No Air|
|P||Premium||Q||Pick up (double cab) 4 door||M||Multi Fuel/Power Air|
|U||Premium Elite||Z||Special Offer Car||F||Multi fuel/power No Air|
|W||Luxury Elite||M||Monospace||Z||Petrol No Air|
|O||Oversize||R||Recreational Vehicle||U||Ethanol Air|
|X||Special||H||Motor Home||X||Ethanol No Air|
|Y||2 Wheel Vehicle|
ACRISS Definition for "Elite"
The term ‘Elite’ has been selected by ACRISS to identify a category of vehicle that is superior to another of equal body size. The difference between the two vehicles may be Price, Engine size, Performance, Fixtures, Features or any combination of these.
Features & Benefits of the Expanded Matrix
- Category was increased with the introduction of an `Elite’ band for most existing categories.
- The `Elite’ categories are designed to enable Car Rental companies to differentiate between standard and high-spec or luxury brand models of similar dimensions
- Oversize category was added to cater for the `Hummer’ type vehicles.
- Types had nine additional types added, including: Roadster, Coupe, Special Offer / Promotional
- The existing Type `F’ was changed from 4WD to SUV
- Fuel Type – with the ever-increasing number of options available it was necessary to have the ability to distinguish the fuel type, this is particularly true in regions whereby tax breaks apply to certain fuels. This element has been incorporated into the 4th character
- Drive – Due to demand, especially within North America, the ability to distinguish SUV’s as 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, or ALL wheel drive had become a key issue. Consequently, this has now been incorporated into the 3rd character. This enables improved consumer choice globally when making bookings.
- in 2018 the "L" type code expanded to include Sedan cars as well especially in certain markets where limousine indicates a sedan car.
- In 2019 the Pickup Type “Q an “P” had new definitions to cover most of the different types of pick-ups available.
|PASSENGER VAN CODING|
|JV||Elite 6+ Seats
|RV||Elite 7+ Seats
|FV||7+ Seats, plus more space|
|GV||Elite 7+ Seats plus more space|
|UV||Elite 8+ Seats
|WV||Elite 9+ Seats
Passenger Vans –In the expanded matrix, classification of the Passenger Vans Category (1st character) is enhanced to identify passenger capacity, as per the chart.